Many of you have been asking for a quick and easy dessert that will not jeopardize your nutritional goals. We searched for recipes that had 5 or less ingredients, had little to no sugar content, and had a light and fluffy quality. Combining ideas from a number of recipes, we have come up with this Light and Fluffy Chocolate Mousse.
What you will not find in this recipe are the following traditional mousse ingredients. We will explain why we have removed them or replaced them:
- Hard chocolate- While most mousse recipes call for bittersweet or dark chocolate, these come with added sugars that are often overlooked. We have chosen to use unsweetened cocoa powder. The taste is rich, the antioxidants are high, and the sugar content is negligible and in most cases, non-existent. What’s more, cocoa powder has 10 calories per tablespoon compared to up to 800 calories in the equivalent of hard chocolate needed for most mousse recipes. You also have to melt the hard chocolate down to the perfect consistency and temperature, which can be quite an undertaking if you’ve never done so before.
- Eggs- While the egg is a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition, utilizing them in a mousse recipe calls for extra steps that make this recipe more complex. Additionally, we are aiming to keep the total calories low for your nutritional goals and find that they do not take away from the texture of this fluffy mousse.
- Sweetened whipped cream- While calorically, this ingredient has only has 30 calories per tablespoon, it adds 2 grams of sugar as well. That can add up quickly as most recipes call for more than just a tablespoon.
1 cup COLD heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons liquid stevia** (or to taste)
- Whip the cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and beat until stiff.
- Divide into 4 equal servings, and enjoy every last bite!
**We like these alternatives because of their natural sweetness and low potential for stomach upset.
- Granulated stevia
- Monkfruit extract
- Pure Via
You can add this recipe to your MyFitnessPal account by searching for ELMM- Chocolate Mousse.